Sunday, May 5, 2013

So the show happened, and I suffered for it.

"My life has been a nightmare
My soul is fractured to the bone"
Stabbing Westward - "Save Yourself"


It's been a while since my last post, for good reason. Last week was our show that took me out of my routine and monkey wrenched the hell out of my training.

I had told Coach about the show, and I fully intended to train through the show, thinking it was just another business trip. I was VERY wrong. I had no idea what was going to happen down there. And my training suffered for it.

Two rooms of about 30,000 square feet each needed to be set up with vendor stands, laptops, printers and all manner of IT gear. Three days of walking, bending, lifting, climbing and other acrobatics. I felt fine the first three days. I really enjoyed running in the Florida weather early in the morning. It was quiet, warm and humid.

Yes I said humid. I love running in the humidity. For some reason, my legs feel much better and looser in the humidity and heat. My running partner down there, Tracey, didn't think so. Yes, I actually had a running partner. Tracey has an awesome story. She's just about a year of being cancer free. She runs and does yoga 6 times a week. Prior to our heading south, she had asked if she could run with me, warning me she was a slow runner. PFFT! This woman is a machine. She has that natural graceful gazelle like stride that looks so effortless. And she's quick. Quick like a tiny little elf bunny gazelle. I hated her. Not really, just a lot of jealousy. I still have to work hard at my running. Someday, I hope I can be as effortless as her.

Anyway, on the third day I had speed work on the schedule. A 15 minute warmup, then 15 minutes at tempo, followed by a 15 minute cool down. Tracey was game for the drill, so off we went. We were chatting about running, Game of Thrones, and the show during the warm up. Just enjoying the chat and the early morning calmness. Then we kicked it into tempo.

I don't care what she says, that woman is competitive. I was planning on tempo being around 11 minute/mile. Pfft! We fucked around and ended up sub 8 mile. Even with the stupid inclines around the hotel complex. Which we both cursed each time we had to run up it. Did I mention it was a sub 8 mile? And I still had gas in the tank! Right about 12 minutes into it... Tracey had to stop. She tried to tell me she was fine and to keep going, but she was a bit busy dry heaving.

Wups.

Anyway, that same day was the first day of the show, and insanity ensued. This was day four of being on my feet 12 hours a day, running to and fro. By the end of the day, my legs were totally toast. Long story short, I took the next two days off. I emailed Coach to tell her, and she agreed. All that standing and walking to an fro does toast the legs.

I felt horrible about missing those two days. I got a bit surly about it too. Friday after I got back home, I did as I was told, and went for a quick 15 minute run. The legs felt a bit crappy, but I powered through it.

I noticed the difference yesterday during my brick workout. My bike speeds were slower, I was working harder and just not on target. Let's not even talk about the run.

Today, I'm back in the saddle again. Three weeks to my first race, and I've got some ground to make up. And some extra pounds to lose. Time to lean into it.


2 comments:

  1. fun when you find out you can do something you didn't know you could, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is. I wonder if Tracey will run with me during the fall show? In other news, new bike gear gets installed today and my Level II fitting!

    ReplyDelete