Monday, April 22, 2013

Product Review: Energy Bits - Or Here a bit, there a bit, everywhere a bit bit....

Let's get this unfun part of the way right now:

Energy Bits provided me with a sample of their product for my honest review. I have received no other compensation for this review from Energy Bits or any other company in the known and unknown universe. This includes, but not limited to this any previously undiscovered parallel universes in which not only am I rich, but in which the Firefly TV show never got cancelled by Fox. Any opinions, be they based in fact or made up out of thin air are owned by no one else but me. And the 14 other people living in my head. 

Ok so...

What in the hell are Energy Bits? Well... it's a plant. Basically. Think seaweed and your on the right track. Don't think sushi, that's to far over there, stay over here with me. There you go...

So what does that mean to you and I? According to the literature, Bits are not supplements  Bits are food. Ok, stop with the soylant green references. You know better. There is a ton of info that came with the sample I received.

A professional reviewer would have took the time to carefully ponder over the written material and completely understand what it is he or she was testing.

I am not a professional. (Remember this, you'll be hearing it a lot more)

True to form, I looked at the pretty words for about .0452834258 seconds before tossing it on my nightstand and opening the tin. What I saw mesmerized me. Not unlike the briefcase scene in Pulp Fiction.


I beheld lit round bits of... bits. Green bits at that! They looked kind of cute and harmless. All bit like in their little container.

So I ate some.

I am NOT a professional.

Having heard so much about being Powered By Bits, I half expected to swallow them and go out and run a marathon in 20 minutes while solving the grand unification theory and writing the next great american novel. That didn't happen. I was kind of let down.

Again, not a professional.

What I did do, was wait about 20 minutes and head out on a bike ride that I had scheduled. I had no problems doing the ride at all. Actually, I felt like I still had a lot of gas in the tank. Was it the bits? Or was it the food earlier?

For the next week, I would alternate Bit-ing up for workouts and going about it my normal method. With one big exception. The Sunday after I received the Bits, I did NOT use them for my hour endurance ride. I would love to say that I was doing this for scientific reasons as a control. I just totally forgot to eat them.

Still not a professional.

So this past Sunday, I had a 70 minute ride scheduled, and I Bit-Up (can this be a thing now?).  Both long rides had some nasty head winds of at least 15 mph. Both rides where along the same course at about the time of day on the same bike. Impressively scientific huh?

Nope, still not a professional.

So long story short, what's the verdict? Did they improve my performance? Was there peace in the middle east? Is there really a Santa Claus, Virginia?



I did notice that I was able to sustain better speeds and cadence when I Bit-Up (I'm really lobbying for this to be a thing). My speed was faster, and I seemed to get this lil mini top off in the tank every so often. Was kind of cool, like I had a super power. I also noticed that my HRM read a bit higher than normal. Was that because I was working harder or because of the Bits? Eh dunno.

Yup, still short of professional status.

Bottom line: Bits are pretty cool. Will I use them for every work out? No. I won't. Will I use them for the long hard grinding ones? Yes I will. I think this is where they excel. The feeling of having my tank topped off while pushing the big ring was great. That's when I needed the energy the most. That and the freaking 30 mph gusting head winds. Stupid weather. I will be adding Bits into my stash of goodies for those days I know I'm going to need the energy to push hard. For shorter work outs, I didn't really notice a difference in my performance or energy level. So I'll save being Bit-Up (really, I want this to be a thing!) for the hard stuff.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment