Tuesday, May 21, 2013

File This Idea Under: "Epically Awesome" or "Possibly The Dumbest Thing Ever"

This is The Manayunk Wall.

This entry is not about my race on Saturday. Oh, don't worry, it's very much on my mind. I'm nervous and excited for it. I will dedicate a whole post to it after I'm done, pre and post race report complete with pictures and funny stories.

This post is about something I just did.

Here in Philly, we've a lil burb called Manayunk. It's a cozy little town. Lots of row homes and great places to eat, drink and be merry. It's also played host to cycling races in the past. This year, the race almost didn't happen. However, Parx Casino stepped up and saved it. Race is on!



The race has been renamed to the Philly Cycling Classic. The course has changed but it's signature feature has remained. The Manayunk Wall. What is the Wall you might ask? It's a stretch of road that's 800 meters at a 17% grade. Sounds like a lot of fun to zoom down huh?

Only the race goes UP the Wall. Yes, uphill. This will be amazing!

Us non-pros get a chance to race the course as well in the Bicycle Open. We get 1:15 to do as many laps as we can on the 12 mile course (I think), with the streets blocked off and no traffic. Then after we're done, the Pro Teams will start their race. While I eat breakfast. I like this plan!

Does this count as an endurance ride or a interval ride is my big question?

2 comments:

  1. I don't think it matters much which way you count either. Either way.... you'll be too tired to eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never under estimate my appetite! All the food is mine! ALL of it!!!

      Delete