"Mm, I'll try
To hold on tight tonight" - Panic Switch, Sliversun Pickups
To hold on tight tonight" - Panic Switch, Sliversun Pickups
Eight weeks. That's all I have left till my first race of the season. Insert graphic of me starting to freak the hell out:
![]() |
| Doom! Doom! Doom! |
Am I training enough? Too much? Am I training right? What's my diet like? Oh crap, did I set myself back by eating mac and cheese? So many questions. Sometimes I feel like I'm really doing my training in a fly by night sort of way. Well, truth be told, that's how I've done most things in my life. But this is different! This is Multisports! There can be only one...
![]() |
| You heard Sean Connery there too, didn't you? |
So I'm taking the plunge. I've gotten in contact with a local-ish coach. She's got some serious Tri time under her belt and seems to really dig into the details of each of her athlete's unique situations. Which is a good thing, hopefully she accepts strange as well as unique.
My first race will not be on a road bike, which is adding into the panic factor. Instead I'll be using a hybrid bike. No aero-bars for me. It's not a bad bike at all, especially for the price which was nil, and it's newer, so no 1979 Schwinn for me. But.. I want a REAL road bike!
![]() |
| Said Hybrid, amongst computer bits. You thought I was kidding when I said Geek Central, didn't you? |
So now, to keep calm, listen to my coach (who just emailed me......YAY!) and lean into it. I got this, and the hell with anyone who says different!



Chris - I see lots of mountain and hybrid bikes at local events, so you will certainly not be out of the ordinary. In fact, last year at Marshman I distinctly remember being PASSED on a hill by a teenage girl on something pink and muddy. I got 'chicked' by a girl on a Barbie-looking mountain bike!
ReplyDeleteIf I were you I would try to save pennies to get a bike that fits you as close to perfectly as possible. I spent most of last season on an ill-fit road bike that made life a lot less fun. Still fun, but I wonder if I had had the correct ride if that girl still would have passed me!
Thank you! I fully expect to get chicked my first race, I'm still going to make her work for it though.
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping to have my first road bike by July. I've got a friend who's big in the local cycling community and he's going make sure I get one that's properly fit and set up for me.
I appreciate the feedback and your reading my babble!
Just don't mix up a scsi and a brake cable...bad things sir.
ReplyDeleteNow he tells me...
ReplyDeleteGood luck! I always get a little jittery before my big events. Trust your training. Have fun! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Jamie. I think having a coach will help settle me down. After she beats me up :P
ReplyDelete