"It's no surprise to me, I am my own worst enemy
'Cause every now and then, I kick the living shit out of me"
Lit - "Own Worst Enemy"
If you've been around for a while, you'll notice that most of my posts start with some lyrics. Today, I'd like to blather on specifically about the lyrics above.
One of my oldest friends for years said that this was my theme song. And it was true. I was my own worst enemy. I would constantly sabotage myself. For most of my life, I never thought I was good enough, smart enough, attractive enough. blah blah blah, you get the gist.
![]() |
| A fairly good description of my life before |
Since I've started training in earnest, something interesting has happened. I'm might not be as smart as some, or as good looking as others. There isn't a damn thing wrong with that. Every day, I'm out there doing the work to get better at my sport. I don't skip workouts. I try to put my all into ever interval, mile, set and session. Sure I might still have some extra insulation from winter around my middle. I might not have Macca's confidence, Pott's speed, or Wurtle's awesome race reports. But I have something just as important. For the first time in ever, I believe in me.
In the past, had someone mocked my efforts at something, no matter how friendly, I would have just smiled along and laughed. Not so anymore. Now if a smart ass comment is made, my first response is: "Screw you pal. I don't see you out here doing the work day after day. You wanna mock? Get your ass out here with me. Until then STFU and go eat another freakin donut."
![]() |
| Truth be told... who doesn't like sprinkles? |
I'm no longer my own worst enemy. I'm not working against myself. I'm not setting myself up to fail any more.
I'm a friend to me now. I believe in myself. And that, dear friends, is the greatest gift this sport has given me. And no one can ever take that away from me.



I guess I'm not quite as passionate about it. Well, maybe I am. I tend to downplay how big a deal it is to me, and I KNOW I'm slow and old, but it kinda pisses me off when some no-neck guy looks down his nose at me, and it happens once in a while. Funny, you don't get that much from runners. When I started running, it was the middle aged women who gave me crap about it - the young male runners in the office went a little nuts coaching and encouraging me and helping me get shoes and blah blah blah. We had a marathon runner in the office, and he used to tell me all the time that he ran faster, but he could look at my stats and see that I was working harder than he was just from my heartrate stuff. I'm sure there are runners up there who get snotty about 13 minutes miles, but I see it a whole lot more in the no neck gym guys.
ReplyDeleteI've noticed that when I have to run in the gym. The guys in there lifting weights give me side long glances because I'm spending 45 mins-hour on the treadmill and then only using the universal machines for core work. No, I don't want to be huge and ripped. But some people seem to think it's their way or the wrong way :)
Delete